I love me some breakfast potatoes! I’m a savory breakfast person, so all that carby goodness is my idea of a perfect side to a yummy omelette or frittata in the morning!
Once I found my secret ingredient (ok it’s not that secret, I just didn’t think to use it until recently) I knew I would never make my breakfast potatoes any other way! It adds color and a smokiness to create the most perfect savory accompaniment to the perfect breakfast.
I’ve also tried this recipe using all kinds of potatoes…red, yukon gold, fingerling, and of course sweet potatoes and they all are equally delicious!! So what is this magical smokey ingredient…I’ll let you in on my little secret!
Smokey Breakfast Potatoes
(Makes one serving, but feel free to double, triple, quadruple this recipe for your group)
- 1 Cup Potatoes, cubed small
- 1 Tbl Avocado or Olive Oil (*See why I choose avocado oil below)
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Smoked Paprika (The “secret” ingredient!!)
- Heat your oil over medium heat. While you’re doing that, cube your potatoes and lay across a paper towel to get them as dry as possible. This will help them crisp up a little faster, and not splatter as much once they’re in the oil.
- Place the potatoes and spices into the pan and coat everything with the oil. Spread the potatoes into an even layer and LEAVE THEM ALONE! Seriously, don’t touch them for a few mins. This will allow them to develop that crispiness we all love about breakfast potatoes.
- Give them a little toss and let them sit again for 3-4 mins to develop even more of that crispy amazingness. Test a piece of potato to see if it’s tender enough for your liking, and voila! Smokey Breakfast Potatoes!!
*I like to use Avocado oil because it has a higher smoke point, which will help the potatoes get super crispy without the oil burning before they are done cooking through.
So what do you think? Are these going to be part of your next Sunday brunch or breakfast in bed?!?! Let me tell you from experience…they should! If you do, let me see your handy work by using the hashtag #LifeAfterLoserRecipes on Instagram so I can check it out!!