Sometimes you just need a good hearty soup or stew to hit the spot on a chilly day, and this Cajun Soup does just that! It’s got that familiar savory Cajun spice, with yummy sausage, chicken, and shrimp…mmmm!
I’ve always gravitated towards comfort food recipes and Gumbo and Jambalaya are definitely on that list, so this is a take on both of those flavors! It’s like the two met, fell madly in love, and came together to make this soup!
I always prefer a more hearty soup or stew, which is more meat and veggies than broth, but if you prefer the later, just add double the amount of each liquid mentioned and you’ll be good to go!
So here’s the game plan for this yummy Whole 30, Paleo, Low Carb amazingness…
Cajun Soup | Whole 30, Paleo
(Makes 6 cups)
- 2 Tbl Avocado Oil
- 1/2 lb Smoked Turkey Sausage
- 1/2 lb Shrimp (my favorite are the Wild Argentinian Red Shrimp from Trader Joe’s)
- 6-8 Oz Chicken Breast (I just used one normal sized Chicken Breast)
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 6 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 cup Chicken Stock or Bone Broth
- 1/4 cup Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 1/4 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cajun Spice
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne
- 1 Tbl Hot Sauce (Louisiana Hot Sauce is my fave for Cajun/Creole dishes)
- I like to get all my protein sauteed first and set aside. First, cut your protein into bite sized pieces. For mine, I did half moon shapes for the sausage, cut each large shrimp in half, and diced the chicken breast.
- First heat a dutch oven or large soup pot over medium heat with 2 Tbl Avocado Oil. Start by sauteing the sausage and once it’s browned remove from the pot and throw in your chicken. Brown the chicken for 5-10 mins (it just depends on how thick you cut your pieces), then remove from the pot and keep with the sausage. Finally, throw in your shrimp and saute for 3 mins MAX (it’s going to go back into hot broth later, so we don’t want to over cook it right now). Remove your shrimp and set aside with the chicken and sausage.
- Once all your protein is done add a little more avocado oil to the pot if it’s too dry. If there is still a little fat in the bottom, you’re good to go! Throw all of your veggies, besides the garlic into your pot to start to soften.
- Once your veggies are tender, add the garlic and all the spices to cover and saute for 1-2 mins before adding your liquid.
- Add your chicken broth, coconut milk, and hot sauce to the veggies. Let it simmer for 2-3 mins and then add all your protein to the soup.
- Let the soup simmer for another 2-3 mins just to warm your meat back up, then remove from the heat and serve!
*If you like your Cajun food super spicy, feel free to add more cayenne or hot sauce!
** If you want that Gumbo or Jambalaya feel, you could serve this over cauliflower rice.
This soup is so comforting and hearty and will satisfy that savory craving but keeping it super lean, low carb, Paleo, and Whole 30! I think that’s a pretty great recipe to have in your back pocket!!
If you like to show off your food creations (like I do) make sure to tag me @JessicaDelfsBL10 on instagram and #LifeAfterLoserRecipes so I can check it out and give you the shout out you deserve!!
I hope you enjoy this as much as I do,