I love spaghetti squash and find that it’s the perfect low carb, low calorie, super clean veggie that can stand up to yummy sauces, protein and veggies!
Ever since I got my new Instant Pot it’s made it even easier and faster to cook! I’m talking 8 minutes in the Instant Pot, versus 45 mins in the oven! (OMG!! If you haven’t bought one yet, you are SERIOUSLY missing out!!) If you want to see how I do my spaghetti squash you can jump over to this post to see the super simple and super fast way I prepare it!
Another favorite of mine is this Trader Joe’s Marinara. It taste super clean and fresh, and I think it’s just enough of a clean slate to add your own spices to make it taste just the way you like it! You can see below which spices I went with, but feel free to try out different combos!
And last but not least, a STAPLE of mine is the Whole 30 compliant Spicy Italian Chicken Sausage from Trader Joe’s! It has so much flavor and when you combine the sauce and the sausage together, it flavors the sauce even more!
This is definitely a go to dinner for me, and one that has lots of leftovers that you can reheat throughout the week! It’s a meal prep staple for sure!
Spaghetti Squash & Spicy Italian Chicken Sausage
(Serves 2 large or 4 small portions)
- 1 medium Spaghetti Squash
- 1 Tbl Olive Oil
- 4 Spicy Italian Chicken Sausage links, sliced (I like the Whole 30 compliant ones from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 (28oz) can Traditional Marinara Sauce (I used the green canned one from Trader Joe’s)
- 1/2 tsp each: garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning blend (or 1/4 tsp each of basil and oregano), red pepper flakes, salt
- Optional: fresh basil and nutritional yeast for topping
- Cook your spaghetti squash (this can be done as a meal prep item and be ready to go when it’s time to make this recipe. It stays great in the fridge for up to a week!
- Instant Pot Directions:
- Cut the squash around the middle (not long ways). Scoop out all the seeds and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Place 1 cup of water in the Instant Pot and the steamer rack it came with. Then place the squash cut side up into the bottom.
- Close the lid and check that the vent is closed on top, then set it to manual or pressure cook depending on which one you have, and cook on high pressure for 8 mins. Once the timer goes off, quick release the steam vent and allow the steam to completely release before opening.
- Let the squash sit for a minute to cool off, then scoop out the insides and set aside.
- Oven Roasting Directions:
- Cut your squash lengthwise (the long way). For some reason I think it comes out better if it’s cut this way versus the other way when roasting in the oven…just my preference. Scoop out the seeds and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Line a baking sheet with tin foil or parchment paper and place the squash cut side down. Roast at 375* for 45-60 mins depending on how big your squash is.
- Once it reaches your desired tenderness, let it cool for a few mins, then scoop out the insides and set aside.
- Instant Pot Directions:
- Once your spaghetti squash is ready and set aside, heat the oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat.
- Slice your sausages into bite sized or coin like shapes and saute in the oil until browned.
- Turn the heat down and add the whole can of tomato sauce and spices to the pan, and let simmer for 5-10 mins (It’s really done when it’s heated through, but the longer the meat and sauce simmer together, the better it all tastes!)
- I like to top mine with fresh basil and some nutritional yeast for an almost cheesy flavor, but it’s totally optional.
This is one of my favorite go-to week night meals and if you meal prep your squash ahead of time, this is pretty much a 5-10 minute meal!
And if this doesn’t convince you to get an Instant Pot, then I don’t know what will 🙂 Click here to get the same exact one I have! You won’t be disappointed…I PROMISE!!!
If you make this super simple, but super yummy recipe, I’d love to see your creations!! Make sure to tag me on instagram @JessicaDelfs BL10 and use the hashtag #LifeAfterLoserRecipes so I can give you a shout out!!